Georgian Internet Governance Forum
1.1. Georgian Internet Governance Forum is formed by the parties interested in the development of internet governance issues. All the signatories of this document represent a member of the Forum;
1.2. Realizing the important of involvement of all stakeholders in internet governance discussions and processes, the members of Georgian Internet Governance Forum are welcoming all interested parties and individuals to engage and participate in these processes.
2.1. Georgian Internet Governance Forum will promote multilateral dialogue on internet governance issues and openness of processes and consultations as well as to raising the awareness of internet governance issues. The Forum contributes to the formation of the approach towards multisteakholderal involvement in internet governance related processes, with the aim of establishing a democratic form of governance;
2.2. Georgian Internet Governance Forum initiative accelerates the dialogue between the interested parties, through participation of the state, the private sector, civil society, academic and the technical community, and other stakeholders. This forum must provide progress towards introduction of multilateral engagement models of Georgian Internet Governance Forum.
3. The Principles of Georgian Internet Governance Forum
3.1 The guiding principles of Georgian Internet Governance Forum are:
• The protection of fundamental human rights and liberties in the Internet, facilitation of democratic processes and the rule of law;
• Implementation of internet governance through involvement of all interested parties;
• Promotion of harmonization of international regulations and national laws;
• Promotion of strengthening of users’ rights;
• Promotion of universalization of the Internet;
• Promotion of internet security and reliability, sustainability and trust;
• Support of creation of approaches of internet governance based on decentralized and social responsibility;
• Facilitation of introduction of innovation, new technologies and the services in internet sector;
• Implementation of principles of open access and users’ freedom of choice;
• Promotion of cultural and linguistic diversity in internet, development of local content volume increase.
3.2. Agreed recommendation and delivery by Internet Governance Forum should be consistent with the above listed principles.
4. Georgian Internet Governance Forum Initiative Goals
4.1. Georgian Internet Governance Forum is formed for the identification, review of problematic issues of Georgian internet governance, and for sharing best practices, through the involvement of all stakeholders;
4.2. Georgian Internet Governance Forum initiative is based on bottom-up initiatives originating from information society, and the principles of all the stakeholders’ engagement approach. It aims to:
• promote the public consultation process and the involvement of all stakeholders in the identification and discussion of local challenges and issues;
• use online platforms for interested parties for the engagement and involvement;
• provide direct or remote participation of all interested parties in the process of forum or other similar events;
• provide the involvement of the public sector, civil society, private sector, academic communities and the technical society.
4.3 The content of the Forum should reflect the interests of all groups, and it needs to be balanced to achieve maximum benefit. It must proceed from the interests of all parties and be based on local needs. The program of the Forum event should not only meet the interests of one particular group.
5. The Structure of Internet Governance Forum
5.1. Internet Governance Forum is established by persons signing this document or their representatives (hereinafter referred to as the “Internet Governance Community”). The participation is voluntary. It is performed without state registration and does not give rise to any financial or other obligations. Membership of the Community is open to the public and, upon request, all interested persons may become its member upon submission of application;
5.2. For the purpose of regulation of organizational issues, “Internet Governance Community” elects, in the manner prescribed by this Charter, the “Internet Governance Forum Committee” (hereinafter referred to as the “Committee”) for the period of one year, according to the parity quota determined by Article 5.3 of the Charter;
5.3. In the Committee, the stakeholders are distributed in the following five (5) groups: governmental, commercial, non-governmental, academic (as well as technical field experts and the representatives of information society) and representatives of international organizations.
5.4. The representatives in the Committee of Georgian Internet Governance Forum will be selected by the persons attending “Internet Governance Community” meeting, from persons presented in the Group of interest.
5.5 The Committee:
– approves the action plan and the agenda of events to be held during a year by the Internet Governance Forum;
– will select the group organizing the event, including the hosts of the event, from its members, to prepare organizational and other current issues;
– approves the work plan and implementation schedule.
5.6. The working group consists of one representative from “host” organizations (2 representatives in total), as well as 3 representatives from the thematic groups of the Committee. For the purpose of coordination of the activities, the Committee has the Executive Secretary, who is responsible for the coordination of preparation of organizational and other current issues, informing the board members and Forum members on all current issues and news;
5.7. Internet Governance Forum has supporting organizations, whose contribution is determined by a variety of support activities, including by financing specific directions of the event. Supporting organizations are not allowed to affect, in any way, the determination of the agenda of the Forum;
5.8 The decisions are adopted by the consensus by all structural units of the Forum.
6. The Parties’ Engagement
6.1 The Committee
The Committee organizes online survey, the collection and grouping of information for drawing up the agenda of the event, in order to obtain views and vision of various interested groups of internet society.
6.2. The Executive Secretary of the Committee, together with the Committee members, coordinates the development of strategic directions. At the same time, it will take specific steps for determination and allocation of organizational issues, designing of logistics, agenda, proper outlining and finding of sponsors.
6.3 The members of the Committee will develop a work plan and the agenda, which will be submitted to the Committee for approval. The Organizing Committee creates a Web platform and organizes local or regional public meetings for reconciliation of preliminary issues of the event.
6.4 Georgian Internet Governance Forum Committee establishes annually a team of volunteers.
7. The Venue and Space of Holding the Forum
The Committee will choose the place of the event considering the scale of the Forum. The organizers should try to reduce the budget of the Forum to be held to the extent possible.
8. Forum Media Support and Branding
The Forum will be held under the name of IGF- Georgia or GEO IGF. The website address will be www.geoigf.ge. The Forum-related information will be placed on this web-site.
9. Support and Financing
9.1 The goals and objectives of the Forum will be clearly explained to supporting organizations. The form of material or monetary donations will be used during financing of the Forum.
9.2. The Forum organizers will conduct financial flow monitoring in a transparent manner and reflect the budget expenditure in the final report.
10. The Follow-up Period of the Event and Action Plan
At the end of the event, there will be created an accounting document compiling all the recommendations within the scope of the issues discussed.
The recommendations included in the given document will be related to the key issues and, in addition, the document will describe the action plan with respect to each of these issues.